IfL’s membership grade criteria are designed to include the diversity of teaching and training roles found across the further education (FE) and skills sector. This diversity includes those in support roles and those who have teaching or training experience and are using this in classrooms, workshops, the community and the workplace.
The key criteria for the appropriate grade of membership are the level of professional qualifications gained, together with the extent of teaching or training experience.
The profiles which typify each grade are:
Fellows of IfL are highly experienced practitioners who have an influential voice and play an important role in the work of IfL. There are a number of routes to Fellowship available.
Fellows are eligible to Qualified Teacher Learning and Skills status (QTLS) or Associate Teacher Learning and Skills status (ATLS), according to their qualifications and teaching role.
Fellows are entitled to use the designatory letters FIfL.
Find out more about routes to Fellowship
Join IfL as a Fellow or upgrade your membership by contacting the membership team by email at email@example.com or by phone on 0800 093 9111 (free phone).
Experienced practitioners within further education (FE) and skills, who hold a minimum of:
- level 5 diploma (Diploma in Teaching in Lifelong Learning Sector, DTLLS) or equivalent, such as a PGCE, Cert. Ed, General Professional Recognition, or
- level 4 stage 3 FE Teacher Qualification, or
- level 4 stage 1 or 2 FE Teacher Qualification for part-time teachers employed before September 2007.
Members are eligible to work towards apply for QTLS or ATLS status, according to their qualifications and teaching role.
Members are entitled to use the designatory letters MIfL.
Join IfL as a Member
Experienced practitioners within FE and skills, who hold a minimum of:
- level 3/4 certificate (Certificate in Teaching in Lifelong Learning Sector, CTLLS) or equivalent, or
- level 4 stage 1 or 2 FE teaching qualification for full time teachers, or
- assessor awards.
Associates can be eligible to work towards ATLS.
Associates are entitled to use the designatory letters AIfL.
Join IfL as an Associate Member
This category of membership is open to those new to the profession or who may be working towards a teaching qualification including:
- Level 3/4 award (Preparing to Teach in the Lifelong Learning Sector, PTLLS)
- City and Guilds 7302 Certificate or Diploma in Delivering Learning
- ABC level 3 Certificate in Facilitating Learning
- Stage 1 of City and Guilds 730/ 7301/ 7306/ 7307
- Trainee teachers and others working towards post-16 education and training qualifications
- Those in learning support roles.
Join IfL as an Affiliate member
This grade is ideally suited to anyone in a leadership, management or support role in the sector, but who is not a qualified teacher or trainer, or not undertaking some form of teacher training. Anyone with an interest in the work of IfL can benefit from Companion membership, which typically includes HR professionals, managers of teaching and learning support activities and senior leaders from non-teaching or training backgrounds.
Join IfL as a Companion
Honourary IfL membership
This grade is conferred by IfL to acknowledge individuals who have made an outstanding contribution made to the sector.
If you have a query about the grade that you have been allocated, please contact the membership team by email at firstname.lastname@example.org